Re: [TowerTalk] Bull pin / drift pin

To: towertalk@contesting.com, dieven@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bull pin / drift pin
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:12:45 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/29/2011 4:49:09 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I find myself without a drift pin to align the leg holes  in Rohn 55G
tower
sections (5/16? bolt size).  I need to pull together  several sections on
the
ground with a couple of come-alongs.  We plan  to use a crane to lift
preassembled sections and I don?t to do these one at  a time at crane rental
rates.

>  Where do I find a good  drift pin / bull pin / barrel pin for this
purpose?
Klein Tools and  SteelErectorTools.com offer some really hefty ones for
steel
construction,  and I?ve found little drift punch sets at Sears and Ace
Hardware and Harbor  Freight, but not one that?s about the right size for
this. I think a ??  point diameter would be about right, maybe the large
diameter would be ??,  perhaps 6? long?

I've always gotten mine at  Sears. You have to grind down the point a
little for the 25G small leg bolts but  other than that they work FB.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH