To: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>, "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 86, Issue 53
From: Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 17:37:16 -0600
Okay, just for clarity, I've had a ticket for over 30 years and this
isn't the first tower I've ever put up or helped put up or been up.
And it is also important to me to do it right, but I am not looking to
do thousands in the base and do this in a realistic, practical manner.
The circumstances are different here because of the rock, and that's
why I asked this knowledgeable group.

We were in the Houston area in the past, which is mostly gumbo soil.
Here it is rock, on the side of a hill up 1800 feet, and the hole is
in solid rock - not shale, not limestone, a boulder. A solid rock
shelf. The specified hole, by the manufacturer, is 42" X 42" X 5.5
feet. We are now at about 3.5 feet, making the hole a couple of feet
shallow at the moment. It is SOLID rock, nothing more, nothing less -
no cracks, no splits, solid.

It is going to be where we will stay, likely, forever. I am a quad and
homebrew antenna guy, so it will never have multi-stacks or whatever.
A quad now, a monobander (if that) in the future. A tied-in pad at the
top which is say, 5X5 feet would have to be pushed into the soil from
the opposite side to move, and that will not happen as the area is
rock and less than an inch under the soil. That is why I thought a top
pad might help, even though I know it needs to be deeper or at least
epoxied into the stone shelf. I have to have a squared up pad at the
top anyway, so 4-5 feet square would accomplish both tasks.

The tower base doesn't have holes - it is a HG52SS and I have the
factory heavy-duty rebar base with the ears on it that double bolt to
the tower legs. The base sits in the hole, is cross-braced, and
concretes in with only the ear part sticking out to attach the tower
to.

I may cut the lowest brace off the factory base and drill 3 holes for
the three base legs to drop into and then epoxy them in with the
special rock epoxy. The factory base will then lack the lowest brace,
but I'd add one up higher that would be in the concrete pour and the
three 1" rebar factory legs would be epoxied in about 18" into the
boulder.

Still looking for ideas so this is a right as I can make it, and, for
the record, I won't lower the tower all the time, but will when I know
there is weather coming or when away for any period of time. The rest
of the time it will have a 2-el quad on it.

Mike, k5wmg
Pipe Creek, Texas
Fast cars, slow boats, big dogs, and summers off to write