Re: [TowerTalk] tower installation HG52SS / options

To: "Tower and HF antenna construction topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower installation HG52SS / options
From: Michael Goins <wmgoins@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:54:10 -0600
I based it upon my original decision to locate the tower where it is.
Once we found rock and did the initial hole (such as it is), I decided
it was not practical to continue to chip away rock to replace it with
concrete. The factory dimensions are obviously engineered, and we all
know they are likely slightly over-engineered from a litigious society
legal aspect. They are also engineered for "average soil" - whatever
that is supposed to be - so the design is for sand to rock in it's
spectrum of qualification as a sufficient base for the tower and it's
design windload maximum.

It is impractical to continue as is, and the data relational to towers
and installations considerably outside of what I have here, while
interesting, was not really correlational to what I am doing. I have
solid rock, a tower designed for a relatively light load, and a quad
planned which is less than the max design load for the tower.

At this point - weighing cost, convenience, practicality, etc. - using
it "as is," while likely completely fine under my consideration
criteria, I feel to be undersizing. Drilling 6 foot holes and using 25
yards of concrete at $100 a yard is at the other end of the spectrum.

I will drill side holes into the same solid rock to better tie the
tower base into it (attaching side rebar to the slightly cut-down
factory rebar base and plan on three down holes slightly larger than
the 1" diameter of the factory-designed and built rebar base assembly.
Once completed, the tower base will be put into the hole leveled in a
repeatable manner, and then the legs will be epoxied into the rock.
Sufficient tied-in rebar will be added and then concrete of the right
compressive strength will be poured, jigged, and smoothed.

This will exceed many ham installations and while not in exact
accordance to the manufacturer's specs, it is an installation that has
many of the aspects of similar professional ones on rock, with a
concrete base securely tied to the solid rock shelf vertically and
horizontally.

It should hold a quad and any antenna I would put on it (always
keeping in mind the manufacturer's max load rating).

Again, thanks to all for the help. It is much appreciated.

Michael Goins, k5wmg
Pipe Creek, Texas
former editor, qrp quarterly
Fast cars, slow boats, big dogs, and summers off to write

Michael Goins, Editor/Publisher
Natural Awakenings-San Antonio/Hill Country magazine. Our printed
edition is currently distributed throughout Bexar, Kendall, Comal,
Bandera, Kerr and Gillespie counties - with 20,000 magazines in 450+
locations - and our eco-friendly online edition gets emailed across
the globe every month!
No trees were destroyed to send this e-mail, but a good many electrons
were seriously agitated.