Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>,Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning, surge protection
From: WD0M <wd0m@centurytel.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:53:51 -0700
I'm interested in the Tripp Lite surge protector system (and may still buy one or two), but I notice that the warranty is only for an "AC power transient". Not sure if a lightning strike would constitute an AC power transient according to Tripp Lite (does in my mind) but the unit does look like it is fairly capable.

73,
Joe
WD0M

At 05:15 AM 11/7/2003, Pete Smith wrote:
I bought a couple of very nice surges suppressor to replace ones that were damaged during our lightning strike in August. They are made by Tripp-Lite, cost around $35 from TigerDirect, and include 3 wall-wart outlets, 5 other outlets, and surge suppression for cable TV, Ethernet and phone, all in one unit. The specifics: Tripp Lite Protect It! 810Net Surge Suppressor

Tripp sats they will insure equipment connected through the unit that is damaged due to a surge, and will replace the unit if it is damaged by a surge; since most of what was damaged here was affected by induced voltage on the computer network, phone wiring and TC cable, I think this makes a very good investment.

73, Pete N4ZR