[TowerTalk] wire for radials

To: k3bz@arrl.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] wire for radials
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 08:53:36 -0400
To: "(Reflector) TowerTalk"
<<mailto:towertalk%40contesting.com>towertalk@contesting.com>
From: "Jerry Keller" <<mailto:k3bz%40arrl.net>k3bz@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 16:37:10 -0400

I've come into possession of a spool of several thousand feet of solid #24 bare
copper wire. Can I use it for radials? What power level could I run with it?
73,  Jerry K3BZ

Hi Jerry,

I had 200 radials under a shunt-fed tower for 160m at my Bear, Del., QTH in the
'80s. The radial wire was a mix of whatever I could scrounge up -- insulated,
bare, enameled, old CATV RG6, etc., with sizes from no. 12 to no. 26. A good
number of them were no. 24 or no. 26.

I buried each radial by stretching it taught and then cutting a slit alongside,
an inch or so deep, with a spade, then went along with a screwdriver and pushed
the wire into the slit.

They survived for the 10 years we were at that QTH, and for about half of that
time we had a horse pastured in the radial area with no ill effects on the
radials.

I ran up to 1500 watts into this antenna.

73/Jon AA1K