[TowerTalk] re: tower base insulators

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k5iid@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] re: tower base insulators
From: Jon Zaimes AA1K <jz73@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:13:22 -0400
I homebrewed an insulated base using three large ceramic insulators obtained
for $20 from a local scrap yard. They likely came off some power company
transformer. Each is about 6-8 inches diameter and about 8-10 inches long. One
of them would have been sufficient to hold my 100-ft. Rohn 25 that is the
160-meter vertical, but I used three to spread the load out. (I tested a spare
one, which had a crack in it, by driving my 4000-pound Jeep over it a few
times, without damage.) The insulators are bolted to a Rohn flat base on the
top side, and to another flat steel plate on the bottom -- which sits on a pier
pin in the concrete base.

Here's a photo on my web site. It's the last photo on this page, click to
enlarge:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7hjw3/id2.html

73/Jon AA1K