[TowerTalk] Modelling a basic stack

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Modelling a basic stack
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:43:15 -0400
N4ZR wrote:
>This raises a question.  I have always had the impression that antennas in
an HF stack, even if first optimized in free space at the planned stacking
distance, would be de-optimized (is that a word?) once returned to the
"above ground" environment, because the ground plane also figures in the
performance of each antenna, and the antennas are different distances from
it.

>True?

        Yes, perfectionists would take the optimized model from YO into
AO and continue to tweak.  When the measured F/R of my stack was very
close to what the free-space model predicted, I declared it "good
enough" for my needs and put it up.  As with many things, there is a
point of diminishing returns and it's up to each of us to decide where
that is for ourelves.  As you well know, HFTA also makes assumptions
about point source antennas, but it's "good enough" as is for my needs.

73, Bill W4ZV