Re: [TowerTalk] Rotators again

To: Alan AB2OS <ab2os@att.net>,towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotators again
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:09:24 -0400
At 07:45 AM 6/14/2004, Alan AB2OS wrote:

So you are saying that running the coax down through the mast and rotator doesn't really allow one to dispense with a rotor loop?

That was another of the things I liked about the AlfaSpid -- although, if I am reading their online info. correctly, these things are significantly more expensive than I thought: exchange rate problem?

Second question first -- The US dollar has declined considerably against both the Canadian dollar and the Euro; I assume that the AlfaSpid rotators are imported from somewhere in Europe or JA.

I think K8RI has a good point -- the 360-degree twist would not be good for either the coax or any connectors. However, I've often wondered why more hams don't use the trick that seems to be universal on the TV trucks with the pneumatic masts -- they wind the coax around the mast instead of having a free-standing loop. All you do is run the rotator to one stop (clockwise, for example) and then wind the coax around the mast 3-4 turns in that direction. As the rotator turns counterclockwise, the coax wrap simply gets somewhat looser. Secure at both ends to prevent stress on connectors and you're done.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at