Re: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] CAT 5 as Rotator cable
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 00:57:50 -0400
At 10:23 PM 6/17/2004, K8RI wrote:
My own thoughts are Cat-5 is a tad fragile. As I recall it's solid instead
of stranded with the wires loose inside what amounts to a  thin walled
plastic tube.

I think the real show-stopper is the small gauge of the wires. I'm using CAT3 successfully to run a remote antenna switch, but the current requirement is only 30 ma. The motor in a G-800 draws a lot more than that, so the voltage drop over any distance would be prohibitive. The copper wire table in any ARRL Handbook will give you the resistance per foot for various sizes of wire.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
was updated on June 5, 2004
2728 contest stations at