Re: [TowerTalk] DF Antenna

To: "joe sloss" <k7mks@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DF Antenna
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:23:05 -0800
At 08:20 AM 1/25/2005, joe sloss wrote:
This may be stretching "antennas" a bit but.... I'm in need of small "one-hand" carried portable antenna that can be used in the 3-4 MHz range to hunt down a persistent noise at my QTH. I'd prefer to use it with my Davco DR-30 rather than buy a small portable SW radio. Any design ideas?

Thanks, Joe k7mks

Since you want some directionality, and it's not for Tx, why not a tuned loop? Wind a bunch of turns of some fairly small wire on a suitable frame (a square a few feet on a side) and tune it with a 365pf cap.

The advantage of a loop in this situation is that it has a very sharp null (broadside to the loop), which makes DF'ing a bit easier.