Re: [TowerTalk] AB-577/GRC Engineering Specs?

To: Steve Rodowicz <Stefan.Rodowicz@verizon.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AB-577/GRC Engineering Specs?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 09:19:50 -0700
At 06:53 AM 4/16/2006, Steve Rodowicz wrote:
>Michael,
>
>The military specification (MIL-M-55220) specifies qualification testing that
>must be passed by the AB577 mast including side loading.
>
>I can email you a copy if you'd like.
The spec was last updated 10 Sep 1973, and is MIL-M-55220A  (the non-A
version was 14 March 1963)
You might be able to get a copy from US Army, Electronics Command (it's 26
pages long) or from DTIC (http://www.dtic.mil) ..

As of 1996, the spec was still active, but is not valid for future use,
only for replacement use.  This is a good sign, because it's possible that
the document is online at some .mil website.  If DoD wants replacement
parts, they'd reference this spec (and the drawing), and they love to do
that with online documents. http://acquisition.army.mil/  or, possibly,
http://www.assistdocs.com/

In fact, I just found it online at the last site.
http://www.assistdocs.com/search/document_details.cfm?ident_number=29408&StartRow=1&PaginatorPageNumber=1&doc%5Fid=MIL%2DM%2D55220A&status%5Fall=ON&search%5Fmethod=BASIC

look at the bottom of the page, and there's a link that will bring up a pdf

The drawings for the mast, etc. are Electronics Command SC-DL-423549

The M-55220A document has almost all the data an engineer would need, as
far as strength of materials, and loads data.  What you or an engineer
would need to do is turn your antenna size and wind requirements into the
axial and lateral loads called out in the document.

I would venture to say that the M-55220A document, particularly with the
drawing (although I haven't seen the drawing), would be pretty convincing
to a permitting authority, especially if you highlighted the relevant sections.

So, when you get a copy of the document, have at it.

Jim, W6RMK