Re: [TowerTalk] concrete forms

To: "ADRIAN REES" <rees.a@btconnect.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] concrete forms
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:22:54 -0700
At 08:23 AM 7/31/2006, ADRIAN REES wrote:
>Hi Guys
>Over here in the UK, I am about to "plant" 4 towers, and pour C35 Grade
>Concrete in the bases. Anyone know what is the setting time for this
>stuff, and can it poured in one or two lots ? Getting this amount of
>concrete onto the site is not easy. I live up a mountain, with access
>limited to 4 Wheel Drive vehicles, and certainly a Truck will be near
>impossible to get on site, let alone a Ready Mix Concrete one ! So I may
>have to mix on site, and pour in batches.

You'll want to talk to your concrete supplier.

The "set time" for the concrete can be adjusted to a certain extent (they
do this anyway to compensate for temperature changes.. it's a chemical
reaction, and if you used summer mix concrete in winter, it'll take forever
to cure..)  Mind you, this is for "largish" jobs.  The local U-kart place
probably doesn't do this.

My experience (which is limited) has been that if you have a 2 or 3 hour
gap between batches, there's a definite non-joining, because the first pour
has already started to set.. it's certainly not a monolithic block.

Obviously, a big monolithic block is better, but the real question is how
do you get multiple pours to join in a mechanically sound way. There might
be some clever way to, for instance, have interlocking grooves, or rebar
links, etc.

Jim, W6RMK