Re: [TowerTalk] DK9SQ Mast as a reflector?

To: kd4e@verizon.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DK9SQ Mast as a reflector?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 07:06:45 -0700
At 04:52 AM 8/12/2006, kd4e wrote:
>I read the text (see below) and wondered if anyone had
>experimented with a DK9SQ graphite-embedded telescoping
>mast as a vertical reflector?
>
>Or does the embedded graphite not possess sufficient
>reflective density?
>
>Just wondered ...

I would think that it's too lossy.  The other thing to think about is that
while the material itself might be conductive (of some indeterminate, and
uncontrolled, value), the connections between the segments may not be
electrically consistent.

If DK9SQ is buying the tubing for its structural properties, it might have
fairly large variability in the electrical properties.

That said, there's no reason why one couldn't, for instance, get a thin
layer of metal deposited on the surface of the tubing. Most places that do
mirroring/metallization can do this.  It's just a vacuum evaporation
process, and you can get almost anything metallized.  Skin depth in copper
is about 20 microns (a bit less than 1 mil) at 10 MHz, so you don't need a
real thick coating.  Copper wouldn't necessarily be a good choice.. silver
(better conductor, so you need less) or gold (doesn't corrode) might be
better choices.