Re: [TowerTalk] How is the best way to bend rebar

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How is the best way to bend rebar
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 08:58:38 -0700
At 05:21 PM 8/26/2006, Cqtestk4xs@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 8/26/2006 11:45:58 P.M. Greenwich Standard Time,
>jimlux@earthlink.net writes:
>
>I'm  having a bunch of concrete work done for landscaping, and after
>watching  the guys bending and cutting rebar to go around curves and such,
>I'm never  bending rebar by hand or cutting it with a hacksaw  again.
>

>Cutting rebar is a piece of cake using a 7 inch grinding blade in a  circular
>saw.  It takes about 15 seconds to reach about 2/3  through  and then just
>snap it at the cut.  I've done dozens of these and it's a  sure fire way
>to go
>for the average guy working with rebar.

The nifty bender/cutter does it in literally a second.  It's like a
specialized bolt cutter with a lot of leverage. And, doesn't require AC
power, or picking up another tool (or, as happened on a job I was doing a
few years back, dropping the angle grinder in the mud)...

However, if you're doing the bending by hand (or with a conduit
bender/piece of pipe), the abrasive cutter is pretty fast.

I guess the overall point is that nobody needs to struggle with rebar
unless they really want to.  There's lots of ways to bend and cut it. (Now
that I'm not in my foolish 20s and have an income to pay for it, I
particularly like the option of "let someone else do it")

Jim