[TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid

To: "'Tower Talk'" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:12:37 +0000
What I haven't seen mentioned in this series of postings about properly
installing PL-259 connectors is a recommended wattage for the soldering iron or
gun.  My experience has been that all these techniques being shared by everyone
only work if the iron or gun is hot enough to _quickly_ tin (and, later, solder
to the connector) the coax cable braid and center conductor.  Melted dielectric
is the real bugaboo for many of us, not lack of strength from failure to solder
the braid or center conductor to the corresponding part of the PL-259
metalwork.  In years past, I have made some of the strongest short-circuits you
can imagine....:-)

Bud, W2RU