Re: [TowerTalk] 2 element 40m steppir yagi

To: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 element 40m steppir yagi
From: Jeff Stai WK6I <wk6i@twistedoak.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 11:47:09 -0700
At 09:51 AM 10/7/2004, you wrote:
>Have I totally misjudged Towertalkians interest?

perhaps - but be that as it may - you may want to take it up on the steppir
list:

I am certain you will generate more discussion there!-)

I had a discussion with a passing stranger by the steppir table last april
in Visalia - we had this idea of adding an aluminum sleeve over the ends of
the elements - the steppir elements would then capacitively couple with the
sleeves as they passed inside to create a sort of linear loading - I have no
idea if this is mechanically or electrically practical. Try or model it and
see.

There's another concept regarding simply running wires along or above the
elements for the lower band, and letting the wires droop off the end - a
sort of piggyback antenna. This would mess up the tuning for the higher
bands to some degree, but perhaps a workable design with new settings could
be found. I expect that changing the element lengths would also have the
effect of tuning the low band antenna. I think there was a design in an old
QST that had vertical supports on the boom so that the droopy wires would
angle down to the element ends to reduce the interaction - though perhaps
some amount of interaction would allow for tuning the low band antenna.

You could at least do the same droopy antenna in the boom direction for a
rotatable dipole without messing up the tuning.

I agree that a 2-element 40-6 would have installation and (perhaps)
portability advantages!

- jeff wk6i

--
Jeff Stai               jds@twistedoak.com