Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack

To: Robert Chudek - KØRC <k0rc@pclink.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Distance From Shack
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 15:06:49 -0400
You're right, Bob, it was a typo.

The idea was that I wanted to have a half-wavelength (or close to it) at the
lowest frequency of operation, meaning 160 meters.  But I also wanted to
measure as accurately as possible, which meant measuring at 28 MHz.  I used an
RG-11 pigtail so that I could get the length within an inch or so of being x
half-waves at 28 MHz.

As for the loss measurements, W8JI told me that with a composite feedline like
this, I could not get a usable loss number.  The 259B manual says "be sure the
distant end... is not terminated in any resistance" and also says that
non-50-ohm systems cannot be measured.

73, Pete N4ZR