Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Towers Brought Down!]

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Towers Brought Down!]
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:07:38 -0500
Doesn't surprise me at all, and of course Bill is a reliable source.

What does surprise me, though, is that it is standard practice in the business
for ham-sized guyed towers to use only three ground anchor points, to each of
which all the guys on that side are connected through equalizer plates.  I'm
sure the theory is that a guy wire will break before the guy anchor does, but
it seems to me that putting the top guy set on separate anchor rods (maybe even
in the same concrete foundation, but a few feet further out) would provide a
useful bit of redundancy and prevent the whole thing falling over like a cut
tree if the anchor rod fails, through corrosion or other unseemly contingency.

73, Pete N4ZR