Re: [TowerTalk] ospreys & barn owls

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ospreys & barn owls
From: VR2BrettGraham <vr2bg@harts.org.hk>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 05:24:02 +0000
W6WRT added:

> >Also, I have had 200+ pigeons on my antennas before I had to remove them for
> >replacement or repair due to their weight damage.

When I had a 2-el quad up (elements as squares, not
diamonds), both I & the cat noticed that the upper ends
of the spreaders were rather coveted places to perch.

And judging from the damage etched into the bonnet
of one of the cars in the yard here, as well as other
"evidence", the birds frequently perch on sloping elevated
radials.

Different birds; different behaviors?  I note the pair living in a
neighboring house's duct work never perch on the wires,
but just love the view from the top of the mast, judging from
the concentration of droppings immediately below.

I have taken to hosing down the roof tower from time to
time, as well as the roof itself... washing hands after
climbing tower is now no longer to keep from spreading
dirt.  ;^(

73, VR2BrettGraham