Re: [TowerTalk] Comparison between SteppIR and CushcraftLogPeriodic?

To: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>,"Mike, K6BR" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>,"'Bill Turner'" <dezrat@copper.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Comparison between SteppIR and CushcraftLogPeriodic?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 08:01:29 -0700
At 06:34 AM 9/6/2006, Michael Tope wrote:

> [...]

I'm not sure that the SteppIR couldn't keep up. The hopping around
for ALE is just for link sounding, and can be quite slow ( 1
channel/second, it might be configurable, I'd have to go look it
up).  While the comm is going on, there's no hopping.

Now, for a real spread spectrum HF radio (either hopper or direct
sequence) the SteppIR probably wouldn't hack it, although, the SS
radios that I've seen for HF (and I haven't seen very many..so it's
not representative) only use a 500 kHz or so bandwidth (that being
the size of the propagation window from point A to point B)

This IS an interesting question, though, and I'll bet someone has
actually tried PCALE or MARS-ALE with a SteppIR.
Jim, W6RMK