Re: [TowerTalk] Which thruse bearing?

To: Floyd Rodgers <kc5qbc@swbell.net>,Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which thruse bearing?
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 19:58:34 -0800
At 02:02 PM 12/12/2006, Floyd Rodgers wrote:
>Trust me guys, the only way you MIGHT save the bearing is to have a
>flexible low impedance strap connected to the tower and mast. You
>wouldn't believe the number of bearings I've seen pitted, melted or
>welded together just from some welder striking an arc on machinery.
>any current flow will have an effect on the bearing.

That would be my general impression.  The contact area on a typical
ball bearing is SO tiny that the current density is very high, and
heating is almost certain.  Once heated, the ball and race hardness
is changed in that place, and it will wear differently, and once the
race isn't smooth and the ball isn't round, the bearing is toast.

OTOH, an antenna thrust bearing is such a wide tolerance, low speed
application, that something like a stamped lazy susan bearing would
probably work. It's not like you've got some sort of finely balanced
machine tool running at 10,000 RPM. If it pitted, who'd care. Fusing
and welding together is another issue.

Jim, W6RMK