[TowerTalk] SuperSteppIRs was Re: step away from steppir, Son

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SuperSteppIRs was Re: step away from steppir, Son
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:04:55 -0700
At 06:29 AM 6/14/2007, Bob Maser wrote:
>Surely you don't expect a 4 element on a 26 foot boom to be
>competition for a 4 element SteppIR on a 32 or 34 foot , do you?  I
>was just leveling the playing field by taking the boom from a 205BA
>and taking away one of the directors.
>
>The day that some company comes out with an antenna that can vary
>the length of the elements and change spacings between the elements,
>then I will consider buying one,

Some further thoughts..

Say you had a 3 el dual axis steppir.. it would have 5 positioners (3
element lengths, 2 spacings)..

The question would be whether a 5 adjustable element, with fixed
spacings, could get the same performance.

The fixed boom, 5 element antenna would be mechanically simpler.

Jim, W6RMK