[TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re; STUF Weather Proofing compound...
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 10:33:39 -0700
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 10:55:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re;   STUF Weather Proofing compound...

TexasRF@aol.com writes:

>  Steve, the theory for using an inert filler is that the space  inside
the connector is filled, leaving no room for water. Valid? Who  knows?!

    Well, yes - that's the theory. And I'm sure it  works. But it's not the
only way to waterproof a connection - only the  messiest.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH

###  using Dow Corning DC-4 on the pins + threads  of coax connector's  is  NOT
to water proof them.
It's to eliminate the voids between mating surfaces and eliminate  microscopic
arcing.   One would never even know,
just by looking, if a connector had DC-4 on the inside of it.

##  as for sealing the outside of connector's.... have fun when you get to a
SO-239 or similar  chassis  female connector,
like on the back end of a tube shaped balun... or a mess of  close spaced
SO-239's  on any remote switch box.

##  UHF connector's  don't have red O rings, which is 1/2 the problem with
them.   Right  where the PL-259 hits the
SO-239 and does a 90 deg angle is the other 1/2 of the problem.  How do u  make
butyl tape or 88 tape or heat shrink
do a 90 deg angle is beyond me.  Any suggestions ??

##  Broadcast ant's  are a whole diffrent ball game, diffrerent connector's  [
they use real ones].  U sually they are not
using a 1/2 doz feedlines either, nor  stuff like  remote switch box's..and a
1/2 doz baluns etc.

Later... Jim  VE7RF