Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 HAMS died in Kansas City
From: Bill MacLane <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:28:40 -0700 (PDT)
My sympathy to the families involved in this tragedy.

It is very sad when someone dies doing something they enjoy as their hobby.

We must all remember first things first with antenna, mast, tower and similar
construction projects...look up and stay at least twice the distance away from
any overhead conductors.

The electrical supply grid is an infinite energy source. The 72kV residential
primaries can supply upwards of 2,000 or more amps before the fault current
trips a pole fuse or any other over current device.

Even when working on home circuits, do not do it live.  A 10 amp circuit
breaker can and will pass more than 10 amps until it trips.

It can take less than 100mA to cause cardiac arrest.

Not meant to be a lecture or preaching to the choir, but electrical energy can
be deadly.

Many of us could probably write on and on about electrical safety.
73,
Bill
AI4WM