Re: [TowerTalk] Outdoor Coax Issue

To: "'Bill Ogden'" <ogden@us.ibm.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Outdoor Coax Issue
From: "Doug Turnbull" <turnbull@net1.ie>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2008 15:09:04 -0000
Outdoor Cable Issue.

        I have both a comment and a question.   I wonder why people do not
use 50/75 mm (2/3 inch) drainage pipe.   This pipe is perforated along its
length and both admits and allows water to flow out.   Because it is used in
quantity the price is normally pretty low.   I would imagine it take work to
put in but would certainly not stay water logged unless your ground is
always saturated.

    How quickly does standard RG213 rot out in the soil.   I plan to put in
a K9AY about 250 feet from the shack and need to run control and coax back.
It is recommended though not required to bury the coax in order to cut
interaction with the 160M transmit antenna.   It might not be such a bad
thing to replace the coax after three years if it would last that long.
For that matter I have some twenty-five year old RG213 on its original drum.
This may not be the best coax in the world but perhaps is okay for use at
1.8 MHz for a RX antenna.   Any comments are appreciated.

     A problem I may face with the long coax run laying on the ground is
rabbits dining on it.   You can not win.   I do not want to dig a 250 foot
trench through a wood.

                   73 Doug EI2CN