Re: [TowerTalk] Johnson Matchbox

To: Tom Osborne <w7why@verizon.net>, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Johnson Matchbox
From: Bill MacLane <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 02:37:41 -0700 (PDT)
If only the junk today was made like these...
I have one and it handles 500 watts easily.  Tune it at low power and get a
good match and it'll handle more power than the tuners available today.  These
were rated for AM service so they can take quite a bit more on CW & SSB,  I
never used mine for RTTY.

Tom Osborne <w7why@verizon.net> wrote: Hi All

I just purchased a 275 watt Johnson Matchbox, almost mint condition.  They
are rated at 275 watts, but the components inside look pretty hefty.

Has anyone ever run more than 275 watts into one of these?  I've built
tuners that didn't have parts as husky as this one and ran quite a bit of
power through them.

My SB-200 puts out about 500 watts on most bands.

Just curious.  73

Tom W7WHY

Bill
AI4WM