Re: [TowerTalk] DEED RESTRICTIONS FOR ANTENNAS

To: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DEED RESTRICTIONS FOR ANTENNAS
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:54:07 -0800 (PST)
Years ago when we lived in another city I wrote the mayor before putting up 40
ft. of Rohn 25 and asked him if the city had ANY restrictions on ham antennas
and he wrote back on city letterhead that the city didn't.  Well a couple years
later some folks were angry at another ham because of the tower he put up.
During the city council meeting the mayor announced that the city regulated all
towers by ordinance.  When it came to public discussion I got up and gave the
mayor a copy of his letter and asked him if it was his letter plus reading it
aloud and he had to quickly retract his statement saying he "forgot" the city
didn't have any regulations.  It was fantastic watching him retreat, but the
city finally (with ham input) passed a 50 foot tower limit, since it already
had in place setback requirements from years before.  Since lots in that city
were all fairly small one couldn't put up a 90 ft tower anyway, but at least we
got 50 ft. in an ordinance
 (none of the ham towers then in place were over 50 ft anyway).

The city did get by with a fast one a couple meetings later by passing an
annual inspection ordinance that the next mayor had abolished because he felt
it was too intrusive.

Only 1 of about 40 ham towers failed, but the city's police and fire
communications tower was deemed by the outside inspector in his public report
(the inspector owned a tower erection company and was well qualified)to be
severely overloaded and the school district's 100 ft radio tower for
communicating with school buses was deemed in imminent danger of collapsing.
The city tried to get him to inspect ham towers only, but he refused saying he
would inspect every tower in town (this was before cell towers)or none at all.
I had a soft drink ready for him when he came by my house!

As an FYI all of the neighbors and the ham who were feuding and started the
mess over his HDBX48 ended up divorcing their spouses (really).  Also the
neighbors claimed the ham was causing all kinds of interference and actually
threatened to take a hacksaw to his tower.   Funny thing was none of the coax
he had on the tower was even connected to a radio or anything else.  There
wasn't an N-connector or a PL259 on any of the RG8.  Yes I was in the ham's
house a couple times and saw the cable.

73 de Tom, WW5L