[TowerTalk] Tree Climbing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tree Climbing
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 16:37:04 EST
In a message dated 98-02-19 11:28:19 EST, cdent@tenet.edu writes:

> One alternative that was discussed on the local repeater recently
>  was the use of "ascenders".  These are reportedly devices that "clamp"
>  onto
>  a rope and allow you to use them as stepping devices.  I have not yet
>  had
>  the opportunity to check into them myself, but REI or someone else who
>  stocks
>  technical climbing supplies would seem to be the place to go.

     Well, yeah - but you have to get the rope up there to begin with. Unless
you have some experience with knots, ropes and climbing hardware - stay away
from ascenders until you do.

     Climbing spurs are pretty simple to use. Find a little tree and do some
practicing. It won't take you long to get the hang of it. Keep your feet below
you and don't try to straddle the tree. It's like climbing a tower - you have
to have the right attitude and perspective. If you can climb a tower - you
shouldn't have any problems with tree climbing.

73,  Steve  K7LXC