To: <richard@karlquist.com>, <k0rc@citlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 100, Issue 63
From: "Gene Fuller" <w2lu@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 19:53:59 -0400
I've found that a fairly easy to transport and erect antenna for portable
operation is just a center fed vertical dipole using 450 ohm line and a true
(i.e. not just a balun on the feed line) balanced antenna tuner. Same
general rules apply - no more than 1.25 wavelength at highest frequency and
at least about 0.6  at the lowest. 40-45 feet has worked foe me on 10-40
meters. Then, if I really want to get on 80 at night, and there is room,
I'll add 100 feet or so to the top. The vertical dipole has the obvious
advantages of not needing to worry about radials and being a low angle
radiator. I have even had fairly good results on 10-20 with a 20 foot
centerfed vertical with some "T" loading on top and bottom.
Gene / W2LU