[TowerTalk] Taping trap caps - good or bad practice?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Taping trap caps - good or bad practice?
From: "Benson,M Stokley" <BENSONMS@apci.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:31:11 -0500
Hello TT'ers,
I was very interested in Tony's (N2TK) experience using ScotchCote and Scotch
33 tape to seal the black plastic trap caps on an A3S.  I just finished
refurbing my trusty 15 year old A4S and did the same thing Tony did minus the
ScotchCote...applying Scotch 33 tape over the trap caps to take the brunt of
the UV.  The tape overlaps onto the aluminum trap about 1/2 inch.  I took apart
all of the traps, checked for corrosion and replaced all the screws with SS.
Only one trap had major insect infestation...what a mess!  I cleaned all the
electrical joints to bright metal and applied a thin coat of NOALOX.  I haven't
got the antenna back up so I don't have any experience.  Is taping the trap
caps good or bad practice?  The K7LXC directive says don't do what you're not
told to do but I really don't want to expose the trap caps to UV and have them
split.

PS - pls no "trap-less" antenna flames...the antenna (at 50 feet) has been a
true companion with 345 countries mixed and 340 each on CW and phone all with
100 watts (don't own an amp)...you might say I'm a "light tackle" DX'er and
still having fun after 40 years...

73 / Stokley, W3SB

+