Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kb0fhp@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 16:14:24 EST

In a message dated 2/27/2006 9:02:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I have purchased several sections of Rohn 25G - 3 straight  sections, and
the 8' top section with rotor plate. I want to attach this to  the side of my
two-story house, at two locations (top header board, and the  bottom board on
the second story).  This is about 10' and 20' up from  grade.

>  What additional things do I need to purchase besides  the 10' piece that
goes in the concrete; the house brackets; and a thrust  bearing for the mast -
what else is required?

    Umm, any section can go in the ground. The  short-base is just
half-a-section anyway. Just make sure there's 4-6" of sand  for drainage in the
bottom.

    Two housebrackets is per the manufacturer's specs  so you'll need them.
Be sure to have a backing plate on the inside of the  housebracket to spread
the forces out.

    The only kicker might be that you're proposing  being 18 + feet
including the concrete base section above the top  housebracket. Rohn specs
only want
you to go about 14 or so. I don't think  it's a fatal problem, just be sure to
err on the conservative side in your  installation.

>  Antennas planned are Hy-Gain TH3-MkIII, CC 505S, CC 215 and a  M2 432-9wl
antenna....

    You really don't need a thrust bearing since your  rotator will be able
to take any vertical load that you can put on 25G -  especially the ones below
that you're proposing.

Tony's, K1KP, article is a  real engineered house bracket installation
including reinforcing the rafters so  you can see how involved it can be.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188