Re: [TowerTalk] 75 ohm hard line

To: "Dick Dievendorff" <dieven@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 75 ohm hard line
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:48:20 -0500
Dick,

I assume you will have a separate coax for each antenna.  If so, you can
use a simple series matching transformer at both ends.  Assuming .66
velocity factor it would be about 90 inches of 75 ohm coax in series
with 90 inches of 50 ohm coax for 40M, half that number for 20M, 1/3
that number for 15M and 1/4 that number for 10M.  The 75 ohm side of the
transformer would connect to the 50 ohm load and the 50 ohm side of the
transformer would connect to the 75 ohm load.  Alternatively you can
live with the losses having to do with a 1.5/1 mismatch and cut the coax
to an electrical multiple of a half wavelength so the impedance will be
repeated on the other end.  You will still have the losses associated
with the SWR on the line if you do not convert the impedance on both
ends - which is not that big a deal if it is 3/4 inch hardline.  If you
are using a coax switch and want to have a coax that will repeat the
impedance at both ends, you would use a common denominator that would
work on all bands, 80-10.  I think that length works out to something
like 220 feet for CATV stuff.  If it is 3/4 inch hardline the connectors
are very easy to make and install using a copper fitting that will
accept an SO-238 on one end and have an internal thread with an opening
that will self thread onto the 3/4 inch CATV outer aluminum jacket.  Use
some NOALOX or equivalent when you thread it on using a 1 1/8" wrench.

CATV hardline is really good stuff especially when it is free.

73...Stan, K5GO