[TowerTalk] Advice needed on embedding guy anchor rod in concrete deadma

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Advice needed on embedding guy anchor rod in concrete deadman
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 20:08:00 -0700
I'm planning some concrete deadman guy anchors
using Rohn GAC303 or Endurance Helix4-54 anchor
rods, to be embedded in the concrete.  I am
looking for suggestions on how to fixture
the rod correctly to prepare for the concrete pour.
Obviously, I need to get both the azimuth and
elevations angles correct so that the guy cable
pulls in a pure axial mode, without putting
a deflecting load on the rod.  I'm trying to
brainstorm some positioning technique.  Any
suggestions?  How about if I pre-attach the
rod to a rectangular piece of plywood at the correct
elevation angle.  Then I mount the plywood
such that it is square and plumb with respect
to the foundation perimeter?

Alternately, I tie the bottom of the rod into
the rebar cage and install a temporary post
in the ground that will support the top of the
anchor rod.  Seems difficult to get this post
correctly positioned in 3 dimensional space.

Surely someone has solved this problem before.
I don't remember seeing any previous discussion
of it on TT.

Rick N6RK