Re: [TowerTalk] Another non-resonant Guy Length Question +Phillystran

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Another non-resonant Guy Length Question +Phillystran
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:26:41 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:58:16 -0400 (GMT-04:00), DENNIS BRICKEY
<n4dd@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Do I calculate the leader length from the bottom of the guy anchor, from the
>top of the anchor,
>or from where?

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Theoretically it should be measured from the bottom of the anchor. The
resonant frequency is a function of the total length of the conductor
and the RF does not care if part of the conductor is a guy anchor.

HOWEVER..... the guy anchor is surrounded by concrete and earth around
the concrete and that adds capacitance to the overall length and will
lower the resonant frequency by an unknown amount.

What I would do is add another insulator in the guy wire just above
the guy anchor. That removes the unknown factor of capacitance and
lets you sleep better.

Bill W6WRT