Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain 18AVT trap for 20mtr/40mtr

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hygain 18AVT trap for 20mtr/40mtr
From: "John E. Cleeve" <g3jvc@jcleeve.idps.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:37:09 +0100
Hello Bob,
        I have used, and still have and 18AVT/WB which has served me well
for many years, both in the UK and abroad. However, there have been trap
problems, but all off which were repairable.

        To get to the inside of the trap assembly, you undo the self tapping
screw which fixes the outer cover of the trap to the antenna element
assembly, then you rotate the inner plastic spacer at the bottom of the
trap, until you can slide the entire cover etc. down and away from its
original position.

        This will expose the inductor, and at each end of the inductor you
will find a self tapping screw which connects the inductor wire, at each end
to the antenna element. In my example this self tapping screw originally was
not made of stainless steel, and it did not have a washer beneath the head
of the screw, and so, on assembly the screw head "bit" into the aluminium of
the inductor wire, and eventually the rust from the screw and the stress on
the inductor wire, which caused the inductor wire to fracture at the screw
head/wire contact, that caused the problems I experienced. There is a
similar situation at each end of the 80m top loading inductor too.

        So, I suggest you obtain some new stainless steel self tap screws,
plus washers. Obtain some aluminium wire of the right diameter, and simply
rewind the inductors, only a few turns each, in grooved formers, carefully
tighten the new self tap screws and then coat the junction of the
screw/washer/inductor wire with a non hardening insulation, and then
reassemble the outer covering, and you should be back in business.

        Sincerely, John. G3JVC.