Re: [TowerTalk] (Repost) Engineering advice on above ground foundation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] (Repost) Engineering advice on above ground foundation
From: "John Lemay" <john@carltonhouse.eclipse.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:42:19 +0100
Hi Rudy

Looks like you've had plenty of "advice" from this group. You are spot-on in
your opening sentence, when you say that it's a "rather complex situation".

You have already cast the base, so you do need now to consider carefully the
next steps. Do not hurry.

I can't recommend strongly enough that you should obtain professional
engineering advice. A small soil survey should be procured, in which samples
will be taken for testing. These samples will come from close by your base,
and from the foundation depth and deeper. At the same time, the soil can be
assessed in-situ for its bearing capacity. What's more, your engineer will
be able to see and feel the soil, that's important too. You don't need
expensive deep boreholes, a couple (not just one) of trial pits dug with an
excavator will suffice.

When the soil strength is known, and the wind loads from your mast and
aerial are assessed, you will be told whether your foundation is adequate.

Regarding the concrete base, as others have mentioned, concrete is porous.
Water, during a freeze / thaw cycle can slowly cause deterioration and
cracking to the point where your rebar is exposed. Then it will rust.
Rusting causes expansion and further cracking. Rebar which is completely
encased in concrete is almost entirely protected from this effect. Hopefully
your builder gave sufficient cover to the rebar ? In addition, the concrete
could have had an additive to provide air-entrainment which would have been
helpful.

I wish you luck with your project. It's not all doom and gloom, because the
worst scenario is likely to be that your dream of 90ft may need to be
cropped closer to the ground.

Regards

John G4ZTR