Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] sealing goop
From: "Roger N0VR" <n0vr@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 10:18:39 -0600
I use a similar method but I "pot" the connectors with hot glue as the
"middle" layer instead of using the self-vulcanizing (or rubberized) tape. I
just thoroughly cover the first layer with hot glue and then once it cools
to where it is slightly firm but still pliable, I wrap it with the third
layer. The tightening of the top layer as it is applied will effectively
squeeze the still soft glue into any voids that you may have missed.

Granted, the self-vulcanizing tape might be easier but I had a connector get
water in it years ago using the three layer method. That is what prompted me
to "pot" them instead.

The one thing I didn't do before is turn the first layer "sticky side out".
That is a great idea. Although some tape residue isn't all that bad to
remove from a connector, your method makes it just that much easier.

Roger, N0VR