[TowerTalk] What to do???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] What to do???
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 20:31:16 EDT
In a message dated 98-04-12 19:24:33 EDT, w7ry@ior.com writes:

> I am debating what to put at my QTH. I have in my possession a KLM
>  20M6 6 element "Big Stick"
>  all ready to go up. Or..........should I put up a KT34XA ????

     Well, if you want a smashing signal on 20 and didn't really care about
the other bands, then I'd put up the monobander (they work real good!).

     If you want the other bands, then put up the XA.

     The BEST height for 20M is 100-110 feet. That's a real sweet spot on 20M
and it'll play like gangbusters. The XA will work well at this height as well.
I wouldn't stack these 2 antennas - too dissimilar, different boom lengths,
etc.

    Is this an 'either or' situation? I'd probably put the 20M on top and the
XA lower on the tower. The problem there is rotating it. There's not enough
room between the elements to get it to rotate unless you use a TIC.

    You probably don't have enough room under the guys to rotate another 20M
monobander down the tower in a stack so that's out.

>Tower height
>  is no problem.......How high
>  whould you put these antennas???  What is the ideal stacking height for
>  tribanders?? I had 3 TH6 s up
>  at 110, 76, 38 feet. They did not work very well at all.......indavidually
>  they were fine but as a stack
>  they were about worthless.....used a Dunstar stacking box........

     Sounds like one of them might have had the feed out of phase. They should
have worked well.

Cheers,   Steve  K7LXC