Re: [TowerTalk] Building a Tower Trailer

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Building a Tower Trailer
From: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@iowadsl.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 18:10:01 -0500
If I was going to mount something like that on an SUV, I would have
it pull back & then pivot down so that the bottom could fasten to a
trailer hitch in some fashion. If you have a good solid hinge/pivot
you could go to fair heights without guying (the bigger the SUV the
better). If memory serves me this tower is about 12 ft tall when
cranked down. You could put the antennas on either with the tower
flat, or with a small ladder once it is upright.

On the other hand you could practically build the trailer around it.
Using large channel iron or aluminum to nest the tower and form the
backbone of the trailer with an axle braced at one end and a hitch at
the other. then set it up with screw-in anchors and guys. or
combination outriggers/rigid guys that carried along the tower.

Keep us posted please.

At 02:48 PM 7/1/2006, Kelly Johnson wrote:
>Yes, W6DR was part of our field day this year and we used that tower.
>Unfortunately, it is way to big for my needs and for my storage
>capacity.  I need something much smaller for moving my 145 lb.
>LPT1242.
>
>At this point I've decided that I will probably either figure out how
>to lift it on/off my SUV OR just buy a cheap trailer for transport
>only and skip all the hassle of building a "tower trailer".  I don't
>think a real "tower trailer" will meet my constraints.
>

>On 7/1/06, Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com> wrote:

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.