Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional Antenna Installations(Specifically) and

To: ersmar@comcast.net, Ben Thorson <bthorson@4smps.com>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional Antenna Installations(Specifically) and Lightning
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 15:51:54 -0700
At 10:41 AM 2006-07-03, ersmar@comcast.net wrote:
>      My recommendation would be to use four DC-grounded folded
> vertical dipoles spaced around the perimeter of the water tank, and
> fed with the appropriate phasing harness.  Check out Cushcraft's
> commercial antennas such as 4504P at http://www.cushcraft.com/
> (click on land mobile/paging and follow through to their VHF and
> UHF arrays.)  You might be able to get some technical assistance
> from their engineers on phasing harness design for your specific app.

As Ben indicated, multiple antennas with any significant spacing will
generate a multi-lobed pattern with lots of nulls.  This will be the
case with or without reflections from the water tank.

Even though the individual Cushcraft units should perform
satisfactorily, when phased together, the pattern will be a mess.

73, Terry N6RY