Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley PRO 57 B40 HD on Versatower M60

To: "Geert Hofman" <Geert_Hofman@Jabil.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley PRO 57 B40 HD on Versatower M60
From: Chris Pedder <chris@g3vbl.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 15:42:07 +0000
At 15:27 01/08/2006, ON4IG wrote:
>I am contemplating buying a Mosley PRO 57 B 40 HD. My rotor is able to
>turn this thing , but I am still a bit concerned about my tower. I have
>a Versatower M60 ( standard type 18m ) unguyed, which I always leave
>extracted up to wind speeds of about 80 km / hr ( = 50 mph ) and which I
>fully retract for any higher windspeeds. Would anyone be able to tell me
>if this is feasible ? Seems OK and maybe I have to start retracting the
>tower at lower wind speeds...

Geert,

I am sure that other will be able to comment on the Mosley, but I
would certainly be worried about having such a large antenna atop the
Versatower in 80 Km/hr winds. As I recall, the most common failure
mode for those towers is when the windspeed increases and you attempt
to lower the tower, the sections lock, gravity cannot do its job and
the tower folds in the middle.

The 'face' is very narrow, even on the heavy duty Versatower, and
it's very easy for the sections to lock up. Perhaps you might like to
consider some form of 'positive pull-down' and/or some guying. From
memory, I believe that the Versatower is fitted with guying points.

Chris