[TowerTalk] Tower Safety book, harnesses and antenna wire

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Safety book, harnesses and antenna wire
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 11:48:04 -0400

>TTers;
>There has been a thread in the past and now re getting the right harness etc
>for climbing towers.  Some of us have been climbing trees, towers, and poles
>for a long time but may (probably) be doing it wrong...safety wise.  Is
>there some sort of on-line tutorial on the correct way (safety wise) to
>climb towers?  73/dx
>steve, k8wk
>**********
>

>------------------------------

We sell the Tower Climbing and Safety book for $29.95

http://www.radio-ware.com/books/artcs.htm

Secondly, when you buy antenna wire from Lowes of HD, remember, you
are buying electrical wire that is a soft drawn copper. As was
stated, it will stretch especially for long runs.

I do not favor using single strand wire as it is more prone to
mechanical failure than is a stranded wire. If you buy on the used
market, always look for a tinned wire as it is easier to solder to
and less prone to oxidization.

Davis's Flexweave (tm) is a good product that can either be purchased
coated, tinned  or bare. I have have had no problems in my
installations using this product (and yes I sell it.)  You can
get  #14 AWG 168 strands or #12 AWH 256 strands (#36 AWG strands.)
You can also get multi-strand hard drawn copper or copper clad steel.
I have found Cu-clad wire to be a PITA to work with and the plating
tends to come off in our NH acidic rain.

I admit to over load in looking at all the options on tower climbing
equipment. I have looked at Steve's site, Norther Hydraulic, Klein
and a number of other sites and admit to being confused by all the
options. Like the motorcycle helmet I just bought, it is hard to
decide what is the best choice.

I am not trying to start a flame war with another writer on antenna
wire who will disagree with me as he had not had good luck with
Davis's wire or dacron rope.  I am only trying to share some of what
I have learned in my 30 years in the ham business.

In all jest, I could digress about another subject but I'll pass.
Hope everyone has a great Labor Day.

73, Craig Clark, K1QX

RADIOWARE AND RADIO BOOKSTORE
PO  BOX 209