Re: [TowerTalk] Underground Utilities

To: "n8de@thepoint.net" <n8de@thepoint.net>, Robrk <robrk@nidhog.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Underground Utilities
From: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 12:52:56 -0700 (PDT)
In Texas, the program is called "Dig Tess" 1-800-Dig Tess and the utility
companies pay for the ads and there is no up front cost to the consumers.
Actually I believe its a state law that you call dig tess before digging, even
in your own yard.  They'll come out and mark all the utility lines, phone, gas,
electric, water, etc. on your property at no charge min bright orange paint.
They marked our back yard when we had an undertground sprinkler put in several
yearts ago. If you don't call them you're (or the contractor is) liable for any
damage as far as I remember the law.

As an addendum, an Eagle Scout candidate who's Eagle Board of Review I chaired
many years ago, was erecting a flagpole at his school for his Eagle project.
Well, he didn't call Dig Tess and his volunteers punctured a rather large
natural gas line causing a significant leak.  The police, fire department, gas
company, etc. all were required to come out on a Saturday afternoon with a
plumber (at double time rates)to repair the line.  It cost the scout's dad
quite a bit to pay for the costs of repairing the line and the lost gas, so the
scout told his EBOR.

I've always warned my troop's Eagle candidates to call Dig Tess if they are
doing any project that requires digging, no matter if they thiunk there's a
utility line or not.

Tom, WW5L