[TowerTalk] Mast-mounted rotors and assy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast-mounted rotors and assy
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 16:06:46 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-05 15:40:17 EDT, wa6ibu@earthlink.net writes:

<<   The
 beam is on top about 2.5ft. from the rotor.  I would like to upgrade to
 a TA-53 with the 30m add-on element and still keep the 40m. mounted
 below as is currently.  However, this increases my total overall wind
 surface area from 5.6ft-sq. to 9.5ft-sq.  Is this going to be too much
 for a mast-mounted rotor assembly?  The rotor is a Ham-M and the manual
 provides no specs. for this kind of arrangement.  Guess I should call
 Hy-Gain too.  Maybe I'm trying to do too much here.  >>

Hi, Paul --

      Could be. I don't remember the capacity of the Ham M. Might be in the
10-12 sq.ft. range. The factory says that to decrease the rating by 50% if
used in a mast mounted installation so that puts you in whatever half of the
factory rating is. If it's 20 sq.ft. then you're in good shape.

     Call Linda at the factory - she can probably help. Unfortunately I don't
have the phone number here at work.

     BTW, I would NEVER re-install a rotator without having it refurbed. It
should be checked out internally and have new grease installed in all cases.
Otherwise its chances of failing at an inopportune time are pretty good.
Especially a 20+ year old rotator like the Ham M.

Cheers,  Steve   K7LXC