Re: [TowerTalk] antenna location for hurricane

To: "Charlie Gallo" <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna location for hurricane
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 05:59:56 -0700

From: "Charlie Gallo" <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:32 AM
To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Cc: <towertalk@contesting.com>

> ...snip...
>
>> On 8/26/2011 11:12 AM, Mike Baker wrote:
>>> You might want to make sure your car is full of gas and you have enough
>>> fuel
>>> for the generator for at least a week of steady running.
>
>> By all means have every tank *full*.  IF this storm turns out to be as
>> predicted you might have a week or more without power, or the option of
>> getting more gas.  The same for water and food.
>
> ...snip...
>
> At least where I live (NYC) I really don't think water supply is a major
> issue, unless you live in an apartment building greater than 6 stories
> tall.  You see, NYCs water isn't pumped, it's pure gravity feed - kinda
> interesting.  The head pressure is enough to get water up to the 5-6th
> floor - usually building greater than 4 stories have a rooftop water that
> that THEY do pump to, but your average 'house' on the lower levels?  The
> water is pure gravity, and if THAT ever fails
>

> --
> 73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
> Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)

###  IF the commercial AC power goes off, you can then take a nice cold
shower.....in the pitch black !

##  Ok, what about folks in 6-20 story high condo's ?    Do they have a
10,000 gallon tank on the roof top ?   You shut off the AC power, even for a
few days, all hell breaks loose.  Your food in the fridge and deep freeze
goes bad, and has to be tossed, no stove, underground garage doors don't
open, elevators are dead, stores won't even be open, ditto with gas stations
[ pumps are dead].  If your local grocery store doesn't have it's own gen
set, and massive diesel tank, their frozen food goes bad....  and ditto with
the refrigerated stuff.

##  art, w6obb  was telling me a few yrs ago, when Pahrump nev, lost all
it's main fiber optic coming into town.  [ got dug up by accident].   That
was early in the morning, during a week day.   By lunch time, folks were not
amused. ATM's  all dead, no TV, no internet, no LD phone service  out of
town,  cell sites all went dead, etc.  By late in the afternoon, folks
started freaking out.  Since every data circuit in town was toast, none of
the local stores could process debit cards, nor visa/master card etc.
Store's all decided to close their doors, since even the few cash paying
customers  were few and far between.   Gas stations started to close,
restaurants closed for dinner, and it ended up a helluva mess.    They
finally got it all fixed, and back up and running before midnight. If I knew
a hurricane was headed my way, I think I'd make damn sure I had $1K cash on
me.  Money talks, and dead atm's and visa cards  won't  do you any good.  No
point in loading up the deep freeze with steaks.... if the power goes
off...and it's 80 deg F in the kitchen.  High temps and no air conditioning,
makes for bad tempers and short fuses.

later... Jim  VE7RF