[TowerTalk] Rope suggestions?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rope suggestions?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:33:55 EST
In a message dated 3/13/01 6:18:54 AM Pacific Standard Time,
wa9als@starband.net writes:

> I have a 265 ft wire antenna fed with RG-8X that hangs out over a farm
>  pond.  To get it "decently" horizontal, it is under a great amount of
>  tension - as much as one man can pull and then some - I've used a garden
>  tractor to pull it up at times.  The last one stayed for about 3 yrs
>  despite Indiana winters and spring storms held only by nylon rope.
>
>  I'm getting ready to put it back up again and want to use the best ROPE
>  possible.  What would you suggest?  Is Dacron the best overall choice?
>  I do need a balance between weight, strength, and cost.  My situation
>  requires 70-100 feet of rope on each end to get to the trees and down.
>  If you have a specific supplier in mind, please mention the URL.

    If it was me - I'd use the UV-resistant Dacron rope available from
Synthetic Textiles and many dealers. Get one of the larger sizes and go nuts.

    It's been my experience that in 90% of wire antenna failures it's the
wire that's failed and not the rope.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech