[TowerTalk] ROTORS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ROTORS
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 07:37:10 -0400

---------------------- Forwarded by Tyler G Stewart/BENN/CEC on 03/21/97
07:29 AM ---------------------------

From: Tyler G Stewart on 03/21/97 07:36 AM

To:   K4OJ@aol.com
cc:
Subject:  Re: [TowerTalk] ROTORS  (Document link not converted)

Using "house wiring" is an excellent alternative to rotor cable.  Make sure
you use the grey UF/UFB cable that is designed for outdoor use...dont use
the white stuff as it will deteriorate in sunlight (just like white PVC
pipe).   It's still way cheaper than rotor cable.  There is no problem
using the ground conductor either, so 14/2 will give you 3 of six required
wires.

73, Tyler K3MM

To:   campbell@accesscom.com
cc:   towertalk@contesting.com (bcc: Tyler G Stewart/BENN/CEC)
Subject:  Re: [TowerTalk] ROTORS

RE cabling rotors:

The best deal I found when I started building our multi-op contest station
was using house wiring for rotor control...if you are using a Ham-? type
rotor you only need 6 wires if you put the motor capacitor up at the rotor
- tip: pot the end of the capacitor with silcone or similar sealant....then
use two runs of the house wiring, there are two insulated conductors and
the bare ground...since the ground is within a plastic outer jact and the
other wires are insulated it is insulated, too...just watchout as it exits
the outer shield (mebbe slip some spaghetti over it) - I bought one box
(250 ft) of 16Ga and one box of 14 Ga...by having two different gauges it
is easier to track a given wire...and now the fun part....shop your Home
Depot/Builders Square/Home centers...on any given weekend one of them will
have this stuff "on sale"...even though it is two runs, the price is WAY
cheaper than a singler multi-conductor cable, and the gauge is way bigger
so you don't have a problem with losses due to run length....thanks to K8CC
for this idea - NCJ circa ten years ago (?).....is this a run-on sentence?

Jim, K4OJ