Re: [TowerTalk] 6061-T8... new alloy

To: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6061-T8... new alloy
From: Charlie Gallo <Charlie@TheGallos.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:27:56 -0400
On 7/9/2010 Jim Thomson wrote:

> I noticed on DX eng's site that they sell boom material, made from 6061-T8.

> Now this T8 version I had not heard of.   It's a full 10 ksi stonger  [in
> yield strength]
> VS  6061-T6.  That equates to 28.6%  stronger..which is nothing to sneeze at.

Huh?  Does not compute, as they are both the same alloy, just different tempers

The ASM pages for both show the same yield and ultimate strengths, but
different hardnesses

http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA6061T8

http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=MA6061t6

Obviously, with the fact it has the same strength, but different hardnesses,
things like elongation at break are different
--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)