Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex LM470 Limit Switches

To: "Larry Essary" <larry@pulse.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tri-Ex LM470 Limit Switches
From: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:27:24 -0700
I wonder if the "third party mechanical analysis to determine ACTUAL wind
ratings" might be flawed? The "Triex" LM470 was actually built by several
different manufacturers.  When the change was made from the manufacturer
selling it under the name of Triex, the next manufacturer (Paragon Mfg. LLC)
the name of the tower was called Sky 470.  The sales outlet was handled by
First Call Communications. This change was made around about 2000.  First
call sent out literature which included old brochures
using the LM470 name.  One brochure states that "as of January 2000, the
LM470E was redesigned  and updated to handle the larger antennas sold
today...use only 60,000 KSI yield tubing on legs."

Paragon only lasted about one year and was sold to a midwestern company who
I understand wasn't happy about the design or something and quickly sold it
to Tashjian.
Tashjian was the PE for the strength anlysis for Triex, Paragon, and now
Tashjian.

>From the refurbishing info that you posted, I suspect that the tower may be
pretty old and used a lower strength steel--hence my questioning of the
recent analysis without being able to actually determine what steel strenth
was used.

cheers
k7puc