[TowerTalk] Rebuilding the TH7

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rebuilding the TH7
From: Dennis W0JX <w0jx@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 18:18:57 -0800 (PST)
The TH7 is certainly worth rebuilding. It is in current production by MFJ and
the parts are available if you need them. See the following link:

  http://www.hy-gain.com/parts.php?prodid=TH-7DX

  I have a TH6DX, the predecessor, still in operation after 30 years. It has
been in five different locations and each time I moved, I just polished the
elements with Scotchbrite or steel wool, replaced hardware with stainless steel
when I could get it locally, and bought a new set of trap caps. Have never had
to clean out the traps although they should be checked for loose connections
and the dirt blown out. Some people use Scotch 33 to tape the caps on (the wind
can blow them loose.)

  Might be worthwhile to spray certain parts with Krlylon clear acrylic,
depending upon your climate. I would not coat the traps or end caps as that
might alter the resonant frequency of the traps.

  Overall, it is a great and rugged antenna worth keeping. Not the latest and
greatest as far as gain but still very competitive at 60 feet and higher. My
TH6 is at 80 feet and is actually a little too high for 15 and 10.

  73, Dennis W0JX/8